At last, as promised, the Roasted Potato salad recipe.
As some of you might remember, I was planning to post this recipe last month, but I never quite got to it. Maybe I was too busy or maybe I got carried away when I thought I could easily post two recipes a month. Or maybe I simply forgot about this delicious salad, because I tend to associate the rich, creamy, yet healthy flavours with summer. And somehow summer hasn’t really started here. It rains, rains & rains again. Rivers & houses flood, grasslands turn to ponds & all my favourite warm-weather recipes wither away on the shelf in my kitchen. They’re waiting for sunny days; days warm & long enough to have dinner in the forest, watching the sun set after a dusty, hot day. They are waiting for picnics in the park, for long hikes & lazy evenings at home. But since these kind of days seem far from here & keeping this recipe from you seems a selfish thing to do, I decided to hurry up already & share it all the same.
This salad, which consists of beautifully roasted baby-potatoes, yummy carrots, runny eggs & creamy avocado dressing, is a real delight. I created it by accident one day, when throwing together all leftover vegetables we had in the house. I personally love roasted, crushed potatoes & in combination with some of my other favourite ingredients (like avocado, capers & celery) they simply taste divine. You will have to take my word for it, because if there is anything wrong with this recipe, it is the fact that it doesn’t photograph well. But it taste all the better, I promise you that:)
In the recipe below, it says that the recipe serves 2 to 4 people. This depends whether you decide to eat the salad as a main or as a side dish. It makes a healthy full meal for 2, but will also perfectly fit as side dish at a barbecue for 4 or more.
Well, I hope you enjoy this delicious salad as much as I do. Feel free to leave any questions or advice in the comments below. I’m curious to know what you think…..
Roasted potato & vegetable salad
– 1 pound baby (red) potatoes, washed and halved
– 4 or 5 carrots, washed and cut into chunks
– ± 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 2 free range eggs, medium boiled, cut into eight.
– 1 ½ ripe avocados, cut into small cubes
– ± 1 cup small tomatoes, cut into half
– 4 celery stalks, cut into small chunks
– 1 red/yellow bell pepper, cleaned and cut into chunks
– ± ½ cup fresh or canned sweet corn
– 1 tablespoon capers
– Salt & pepper to taste
– ½ ripe avocado
– 1 tablespoon mayonnaise/sour cream
– Lemon juice, to taste
– Pepper & salt, to taste
– Preheat the oven to 220°C (±430 F)
– Place potato and carrot pieces onto a baking tray. Cover with olive oil, lemon juice and salt, to taste. Place in the oven and roast for about 30/40 minutes, or until the potatoes and carrots are golden brown and tender.
– In the meantime, boil the eggs and prep the remaining vegetables. Now place all the vegetables, the pieces of egg and capers in a large serving bowl.
– Take the potatoes and carrots from the oven. Take the carrots from between the potatoes and add them to the other vegetables.
– Now place a large plate or clean cutting board on the roasted potatoes, put pressure on plate/cutting board and crush the potatoes. Don’t hesitate to crush them well, they should be about to fall apart when you’re done. Then carefully transfer the potatoes to the serving bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
– To prepare the dressing, simply combine all the ingredients in small bowl and mix well. If you want a really smooth dressing, place the ingredients in a food processor and let it blitz until you have the desired consistency.
– Pour the dressing over the ingredients in the serving bowl and mix well, until everything is coated with dressing.
– Season with salt and pepper & you’re all done. Enjoy!